To: All Brothers in the Mighty Sixth District
From: District Representative Bro. Dr. Octavio Miro
Re: Sixth District Policy on Wrecking (Click for Link to Download)
Date: Retroactive to January 1, 2009
To implement a written policy within the Mighty Sixth District which specifically
prohibits interaction between Brothers in the form of physical or verbal confrontation, by consent
or otherwise, which is commonly referred to as “wrecking,” “going to the grass,” “going to the
green,” or similar categorizations. With respect to this policy, all such prohibited conduct will be
referred to collectively as “wrecking.”
Unfortunately, some Brothers choose to resolve differences by physical or verbal
confrontation. This is sometimes done by consent, but more often it occurs as a form of dispute
resolution. This practice is unacceptable and must be curtailed and eliminated. This practice
will eventually and inevitably lead to serious permanent injury to or death of a Brother.
Pursuant to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Member Code of Conduct and
Disciplinary Policy (“Code of Conduct”), the following rules are applicable to the practice of
Chapter 1, Article I: Member Expectations
- Members shall be responsible for their own behavior, recognizing that their actions reflect upon themselves, their peers, and occasionally others.
- Members shall respect the dignity of all persons and will not physically, mentally, psychologically abuse or haze any human being nor allow themselves to be physically, mentally, psychologically abused or hazed.
- Members shall regard, refer, and treat Members and all individuals with civility and respect.
- Members shall respect their property and the property of others and will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
Chapter 2, Article V: Prescribed Conduct
- Conduct – Rules and Regulations:
- Any member found to have committed any of the following misconduct (but not limited to misconduct specifically contained herein) is subject to the disciplinary sanctions outlined herein:
- Violation of this Member Code of Conduct.
- Physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion and/or other conduct that threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person.
- Hazing, defined as an act which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a person, or which destroys or removes public or private property, for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in a group or organization. …
- Conduct which is disorderly, lewd, or indecent; breach of peace; or aiding, abetting or procuring another person to breach the peace on university premises or at functions sponsored by or participated in by a Chapter, a District or the Fraternity.
Any Brother who engages in conduct that is proscribed by the provisions outlined herein
shall be deemed in violation of the Code of Conduct and subject to the penalties articulated
therein for such violation to include:
- Indefinite Period
- Definite Period
- Any other lawful penalty.
Pursuant to this policy, the practice of “wrecking” is specifically prohibited and any
Brother who engages in such misconduct, as determined by the District Representative, will be
subject to sanction and penalty as outlined in the Code of Conduct. Any Brother determined to
have violated these provisions will be afforded due process in accordance with the Code of
Conduct, to include the right to a hearing and the right to an appeal.
This policy is effective immediately, and in any event retroactive to January 1, 2009.
This policy applies to any activity which is subject to the jurisdiction of the Sixth District
Representative. Thus, the policy applies to:
- Any misconduct which occurs within the bounds of the Mighty Sixth District, to include misconduct perpetrated by Brothers from other Districts who are visiting the Sixth District, irrespective of whether they are affiliated with a Chapter within the Sixth District;
- Any misconduct perpetrated by a Brother who is affiliated with a chapter in the Sixth District at the time of the violation, regardless of where the misconduct occurs;
- Any misconduct perpetrated by a Brother who resides in the Sixth District at the time of the violation, regardless of where the misconduct occurs; and
- Financial and non-financial Brothers equally.